15-20 hours a week, Monday - Friday 7 am to 10 am, some flexibility with working hours is required.
To carry out caretaking and cleaning duties. To ensure that the premises are kept secure, safe and in good working order. Keep the building, ancillary premises and grounds tidy and clean to a good standard. To be responsible, when on duty, for the opening and unlocking in the morning, or for the closing and locking-up at night of the premises(in liaison with the Verger). To supervise the day to day use of the premises, ensure that it is kept clean and tidy at all times, prepare the hired spaces for organisations and be responsible for the security of the premises and its contents. To help and assist with setting up and removal of all contents and furniture as necessary for concerts, events and services, and for their restoration afterwards. To maintain the building and grounds as required.
- Responsibility for maintaining regular daily and weekly cleaning of all areas of the premises and its environs to ensure a high standard of cleanliness.
- Walk-through spaces open to the public on a daily basis to ensure a tidy presentation of the premises and its facilities.
- Ensuring a sufficient supply of cleaning materials and being responsible for the storage of them, in accordance with prevailing Health & Safety regulations.
- Maintenance, cleanliness and safety of the building's grounds including but not limited to clearing entrance-ways of snow and ice and removing dead flowers and foliage from the Garden of Rest
- Monitor an annual repair and maintenance plan for the Premises and Finance Committee
- Keep a regular eye on the buildings and premises to identify issues which need to be resolved quickly.
- Working with the Operations Manager determine which works require external contractors and which can be performed in-house or using parish volunteers
- To undertake minor repairs and maintenance items.
- Commission and oversee repair and maintenance works not undertaken by yourself.
- Ensure that the heating systems operate as necessary to heat the buildings ready for meetings in accordance with planned use and that fuel is ordered regularly.
3. Hires, Concerts and Events:
- Moving furniture and occasionally assisting with staging to support the many events which take place on the premises and in the buildings.
- This task must be carried out sensitively because of the nature of the building, as a place of prayer, as well as safeguarding the fabric and adhering to Health & Safety Regulations.
- Laying out chairs, tables, equipment, etc. as needed by different user groups.
- To ensure that all equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Attendance as caretaker at some evening & weekend events organised by outside hirers of the Church and Crypt.
- To liaise routinely with both regular and occasional users of the Church and Crypt.
- Provide a warm welcome to both hirers and users of the Church and Crypt.
- Responsibility for opening the building at the appointed times and locking up the building on occasion.
- Maintenance of the effective security of the building and environs and the procedures for safeguarding the building and visitors.
- Responsibility for reporting any defect within the building and/or department, without delay, to Operations Manager.
- Responsible for the security of all keys, including maintenance of the key log.
- Compliance with all fire and health & safety procedures.
- Understanding and implementing the Church’s Health and Safety policy.
- Having sufficient knowledge in areas such as first aid, fire-fighting and evacuation procedures.
- Playing a full part in the maintenance of good public relations and treating visitors and volunteers in a friendly, tactful and helpful manner, being firm when necessary, without giving offence.
- Having oversight of contractors working in the church.
- Checking the Church diary on a daily basis, to ensure full awareness of all of the activities taking place in the Church.
- To assist staff and volunteers in their work for the Church.
- To attend training courses relevant to the post as required.
- To ensure any health and safety issues are dealt with urgently and effectively and reported to the Operations Manager without delay.
- To ensure that the guidelines in line with COSHH Regulations (hazardours substances) are followed.
- To maintain any administrative or clerical records necessary to caretaking and cleaning.
- To liaise with the Verger, Operations Manager and volunteers to ensure good communication regarding the use of Church Halls.
Any other duties consistent with that of a caretaker or cleaner which the management team decides after consultation with the post holder.
The nature of this job requires flexible working arrangements in accordance with the day to day use of the Church/Halls or in the case of Special Events outside of normal hours. The Caretaker must also be prepared to be contacted at home in the event of an emergency.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated knowledge and experience of building cleaning, maintenance and basic repair and be a team player able to work with minimal supervision. The work involves climbing stairs, manual handling and medium exertion.
Experience in facilities management and working with volunteers would be an asset.
- A broad sympathy for the life and mission of the Christian Church.
- A good team player with the ability to relate equally well to paid and voluntary staff
- Enthusiastic, energetic and practical
- Able to work under minimum supervision
- Able to reach all areas of the Church and associated buildings without assistance, carry heavy loads and do such physical work as is required
- Flexible and willing to work overtime and or change of hours to facilitate church special events
- Physically capable of carrying out all the range of task associated with this post
- Previous Caretaking Experience of caretaking duties, roles and responsibilities.
- Knowledge and experience of Facility Management.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: 10TH APRIL 2017