Business Support Coordinator
Full-time: 35 hrs/week. 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday with some evening and early morning working required.
An opportunity to join one of the UK’s foremost Business Improvement Districts in an organisational support role with a special focus on managing the Bankside Community Space venue. This job is a great opportunity for someone with a background in business support, office or venue coordination who wants to progress their career playing a key role in ensuring the smooth running of a small but busy office. Better Bankside will support the right person to develop their skills through on-the-job training. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
About Better Bankside
Better Bankside is a Business Improvement District (BID) in Southwark, London. Its aim is to make Bankside a thriving place to work, live and visit and, ultimately, to become the ‘best neighbourhood in the world’. Better Bankside was formally established in 2005 and was the third BID in the UK.
A Business Improvement District (BID) is an independent, business-owned and led company, which seeks to improve a given location for commercial activity. Better Bankside's members are the 650+ companies in the BID area (between Hatfields in the west and London Bridge in the east, and south from the River as far as Union Street, Borough Station and Webber Street) who pay its annual 'levy'. Many of these are heavily involved in the governance of the company.
Bankside Community Space
- Running all aspects of the Bankside Community Space venue including responding to enquiries, ordering catering, handling feedback and the entire booking process
- Liaising with the Public Realm Supervisor to set up tables, chairs, refreshments and AV equipment for hirers and internal meetings, and ensuring that the meeting space and kitchen are clean and tidy at all times
- Budget responsibility for the Bankside Community Space venue. Responsible for meeting targets for income and occupancy, for completing annual and five-year Business Plans
- Maximising the number of paid bookings by promoting the Community Space’s facilities to events managers and potential hirers
Governance and team meetings
- Supporting Better Bankside’s governance including: servicing theme group meetings (circulating agenda and papers; taking minutes); setting up and servicing Scrutiny Panels and supporting the Office Manager to organise the company Annual General Meeting
- Providing support for staff team meetings: set up room, organise catering, circulate agenda and papers, take and produce meeting minutes
- Scheduling and coordinating team events
Front of house / reception
- Handle all general phone and email enquiries to Better Bankside, taking a pro-active role in prioritising, responding and/or passing these on to other colleagues as required in a timely fashion
- Monitoring email enquiries and identifying opportunities to maximise contact with new and existing members, arranging meetings with them if required
- Assist with Better Bankside business and employee events including business seminars, networking and community engagement events: send e-invitations, collect RSVPs, order catering, make name badges and provide operational support on the day.
- Maintain and update member data on a day-to-day basis, using the organisation’s SugarCRM database
- Coordinate Better Bankside’s calendar of events, communications and email blasts to members
- Coordination of Senior Management Team diaries as and when required
- Deputise for the Office Manager when required, ensuring the organisation’s phone, IT and internet facilities are functioning at all times
- Upload content to the Better Bankside website
- Plan and lead weekly guided employee speed-walks around Bankside, with the Smarter Travel Coordinator
- General office support for the Better Bankside team including: filing, data entry, mail-outs, ordering supplies and stationery, taking deliveries, meeting and greeting visitors, inventory of supplies and collateral, distributing mail, putting out recycling and ensuring the office is a tidy and clean environment
- Other organisational support tasks as required
The ideal candidate is a confident people-person, enthusiastic about providing a professional and welcoming first point of call for those coming into contact with Better Bankside. The right person will be well-organised with superb attention to detail. Able to use their own initiative to pro-actively solve problems, the Business Support Coordinator will enjoy running the Bankside Community Space with minimal supervision and take satisfaction from supporting Better Bankside’s friendly, professional and busy workplace. The right candidate will be motivated to provide highly effective support to colleagues and will enjoy interacting with members of the public.
Required skills and competencies
- Confident, friendly and professional telephone, email and in-person communication skills, able to respond appropriately to queries from member businesses and their employees (Essential)
- Excellent written and spoken English (Essential)
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills (Essential)
- Thorough and accurate approach, with excellent attention to detail (Essential)
- The ability to work well under pressure, prioritising the conflicting demands of ad hoc enquiries and routine administrative tasks (Essential)
- Reliable, with patience and professionalism (Essential)
- Able to confidently develop positive and productive working relationships with Better Bankside members, hirers, visitors and the general public (Essential)
- Able to work independently under own initiative (Essential)
- Being a strong team player who will embody Better Bankside culture and values (Essential)
- Able to confidently minute theme group and team meetings (Essential)
- Confident user of MS Office software packages: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (Essential)
- Knowledge of using websites including social media platforms (Desirable)
- Demonstrate an understanding of Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) (Desirable)
Relevant experience, interests and education:
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent further education qualification) (Desirable)
- Minimum 1 year’s post-qualification experience of working in an administrative, office support or venue coordination function (Essential)
- Events coordination (Desirable)
- Experience of providing administrative support to meetings (including preparing agendas, taking minutes) (Essential)
- Data entry and database management (Desirable)
- Experience of monitoring budgets (Essential)
- Experience of working within a membership organisation (Desirable)
How to apply,
- Your CV describing your relevant educational and employment experience
- Personal statement (max. 2 sides) on why you want the job, and your suitability for the position
- Completed Better Bankside equal opportunities monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications: 9am, Tuesday 2nd May 2017
Interviews: 8th / 9th May 2017
Start date: Immediate
Incomplete applications will not be considered. We regret that owing to the high level of response expected we will not be able to contact applicants that are not shortlisted for interview.